People, especially in East Jerusalem/the Old City definitely know about the Mormons. When the Jerusalem Center students would go out to the Old City, people would call out to us, "MORMONS!" This makes me smile every time because the people know who we are. I sometimes wonder though how much these people in Jerusalem know us. How much do they know about our beliefs? For those of you who do not know, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made an agreement with Israel that members of the Church are not allowed to proselyte in this county. I wonder how much people in Jerusalem are curious enough about Mormons to research who we are. Palestinians, especially, are always exposed to us since the the Jerusalem Center is in East Jerusalem and since the students go out to the Old City all of the time. I have seen olive wood carvings of Joseph Smith and Emma Smith in random stores in the Old City. There is a store called Jimmy's Olive Wood Carvings in East Jerusalem that caters to Mormons. He has wood carvings of the Liahona, Captain Moroni, Christ depicted through the LDS Church, and famous LDS paintings. He even has wood carvings of Jimmer.
Often times, people in Jerusalem have told me, "Mormons are good people." I can hear the sincerity in their voices. I have also heard from other students that people have approached them and told them, "There is a light in your eyes." When I went with a couple of students exchanging money, I overheard a cash exchanger tell a girl, "Mormons are the chosen people." He could have been joking with us, but I got a hint of seriousness in his voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment