"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." - 1 John 4:18

Monday, November 19, 2012

What's Most Important?

Today in my LDS Marriage and Family class, I learned that what we need to do to determine what's important is to slow down and listen to the Holy Ghost.

I feel like I have been going full-speed-ahead since day one of this Fall semester. I am the type that likes to pack in my day/semester with as much tasks as I can. I like being busy. I like having something productive to do. This is not how life is supposed to be.

Today is the first time things are slowing down for me. I never realized how out of place my priorities have been this semester. This was a huge problem with me last year as well. I'm surprised that I didn't learn from my mistake. I have been putting school before a lot of things that are much more important: God and people. This reminded me of Elder Cook's talk, "Can Ye Feel So Now," from this past General Conference. It reminded me of this following passage:

Many who are in a spiritual drought and lack commitment have not necessarily been involved in major sins or transgressions, but they have made unwise choices. Some are casual in their observance of sacred covenants. Others spend most of their time giving first-class devotion to lesser causes. Some allow intense cultural or political views to weaken their allegiance to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Some have immersed themselves in Internet materials that magnify, exaggerate, and, in some cases, invent shortcomings of early Church leaders. Then they draw incorrect conclusions that can affect testimony. Any who have made these choices can repent and be spiritually renewed.

I would highly recommend reading this whole talk over. It's a really insightful one. Actually, all talks are insightful, but this one especially.

I feel like the best way to recognize what's most important is to see if what you're doing is in line with the two greatest commandments: 1) Love God and 2) love your neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment