We were discussing the rental car situation. I suggested that we rent the car from the Salt Lake City airport so we wouldn't have to pay extra transportation costs. Also, my mom could drive straight to the Salt Lake City airport. She doesn't want to do that. She said she'd rather get a shuttle to take us to Provo, rent a car in Provo, and then have a family friend take her to the airport after she drops me off. We'd lose more money if we did this. The shuttle for both of us would be $60 and then we'd have to pay an extra $30 for the rental car. Might as well just rent the car at the airport and save $60. So I told mom that her plan was irrational (I'm very blunt with my family). Her excuse was that she would get lost and miss her flight driving from Provo to the Salt Lake City airport. This made me laugh. Driving from Provo to the Salt Lake City airport is like the easiest drive to an airport. I told her that she just needs to get on the freeway and drive straight until she sees a sign that says Salt Lake City airport. She still thinks it's going to be difficult.
We also discussed flights. She told me that we should only take flights that have a 2-3 hour stop over. She says that she would only take a 1 hour stop over if she would be on the same plane. My mom is paranoid about having to switch terminals, especially with a 1 hour stop over. I always do 1 hour stop overs and I rarely miss my connecting flight. There were even a couple times when I had to go to a different terminal and I still made it on time. I only miss my connecting flight if my first flight doesn't arrive on time. Even then they are pretty good with re-booking me if I miss my flight.
I had to tell my mom that I'm probably the most incompetent person out there. If I could handle all of this, that says a lot.
I feel like we got the general plan for our trip to Utah:
- Fly out on July 31 and arrive in Salt Lake City August 1.
- Stay at a hotel in Springville (it was the best deal we could find)
- Meet up with people before I enter the MTC.
- Do things that a missionary would be allowed to do (I'll be set apart by then)
- See if my mom likes Utah enough to live there
- Enjoy my last days of freedom
No comments:
Post a Comment