I think I figured out what it means in Taylor Swift's lyrics "Love is a ruthless game unless you play it good and right" from the song State of Grace. This idea just randomly clicked in the middle of the week after the latest General Conference. I'm finally writing it down on here. This is what I think: You play the game of love well if you are selfless. Seriously, you can never go wrong when your motives and actions revolve around charity. It makes a big difference when you care more about the wants and needs of the other person than yours. I feel like when someone feels happy for another's happiness, that's a show of true love.
This brings me to another point. If this is the case, then if we love someone, we should be content when we lose them to someone else. As long as they are happier with that other person, then we should be content with this sacrifice. The Idiot totally reminded me of this. Nastasya Filippovna wants Myshkin to marry another girl because Nastasya wants to see him happy (she thinks that he will be happier with this other girl than her). Nastasya Filippovna's fiancee, Rogozhin, reasoned out that this proves that she must love Myshkin. I want to say he's right.
I feel like I'm still wrapping my head around this second point. It's easier said than done.
No comments:
Post a Comment