When I'm either on my lunch break or just hanging outside at my mom's store, there were a couple of times when customers randomly told me, "Congrats on going on your mission to Australia." I was always perplexed whenever this happened, but it was always my mom telling them about me going to Australia. Often times they didn't look Mormon, but then I'd find out that they're inactive or just dressing immodestly while in Hawaii. For example, there were these two young couples together that entered my mom's store while I was on my lunch break. They looked like well-kept, attractive, rich kids. I thought I overheard that they lived in Hawaii Kai. I was like, "That explains everything." This is the neighborhood where all the millionaires/billionaires live. When they came out, they told me congrats on getting called to Australia. I asked my mom if they were Mormon. They turned out to be from Utah and Idaho. The two guys served in south Texas. I wouldn't have really guessed they were Mormon because the girls were dressed immodestly. I guess I'm not surprised because a lot of Mormon girls wear short-shorts, tank tops, and bikinis. I'm hoping I'm not sounding all high-and-mighty. I used to dress immodestly over the summers, but after get my endowment, I don't dress like that unless I just came back from swimming.
How does this have to do with the title of this post? Nothing. I just felt like writing about this experience because it really stuck out to me for some reason.
The more I'm exposed to Australians and Chinese people and culture, the more excited I am for the mission. I get Australian customers all of the time. They are such nice, humorous, down-to-earth people. I love talking to them. I only understand half of the things they say because their accents blur their words, but hopefully I'll get used to it while I'm there for 18 months.
When I passed through Chinatown in Honolulu, I just got so excited. Seeing the Chinese characters and people made me pumped for the mission. I just knew that I needed to teach the Chinese people the gospel.
I feel like after all of these run-ins, the Australia Brisbane mission, Mandarin speaking is where I'm supposed to go on my mission. I have a feeling I'm going to learn as much as I teach while I'm in Australia
No comments:
Post a Comment